Opened 3 years ago

Last modified 22 months ago

#1281 assigned defect

[osx] Could not find system(darwin) default encoding

Reported by: tome Owned by: tome
Priority: minor Milestone:
Component: OSX Version: 0.87
Keywords: osx Cc:

Description

On OSX Lion I'm getting (currently on r15252) when I try to open a file I get.
"Could not find system(darwin) default encoding. Please check it manually and report your environment to the Padre development team. at /Users/tom/Projects/PadreBuild/svn/Padre/lib/Padre/Locale.pm line 599."

This is because my $loc = POSIX::setlocale( POSIX::LC_CTYPE() );
returns en_GB
(note I am in the US, and haven't set anything explicit since i got the machine).

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the code or OSX to know what should be the correct result.

TODO: test older versions of Padre since I don't remember seeing this message on .86.

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 3 years ago by tome

Quick comment that in my terminal from which I invoke padre, when I use locale I get this output:
$ locale
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by tome

I checked a machine running tiger and it has the same output for locale but POSIX::setlocale( POSIX::LC_CTYPE() ); returns EN_US.UTF-8.

Also, I checked that if I set LC_ALL, this does return the 'right' thing.

Something strange maybe related to my setup.

comment:3 Changed 2 years ago by bowtie

  • Owner set to tome
  • Status changed from new to assigned

comment:4 Changed 22 months ago by bowtie

  • Component changed from development to OSX
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.