|Version 13 (modified by szabgab, 5 years ago) (diff)|
Learning wxPerl and wxWidgets
For those like me (Gabor) who lack imagination here is an explanation of the stack.
- wxWidgets is the name of the C++ library that can be installed either by your operating systems package management tool ( aptitude install wx-common in case of Debian ) or by installing Alien::wxWidgets from CPAN
- Scintilla is an editor component written in C++ and used in many editors. It has been included in wxWidgets ad the STC or wxStyledTextCtrl and is used in Padre.
- wxPerl is the name of the Perl binding to wxWidgets (or wrapper if you prefer that word) - It is packaged as the Wx distro on CPAN. Some of the recent Linux distros might also have.
- Above all that comes our code (Padre in our case)
downloadable version: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxperl/wxPerl-0.82-wx-2.8.7-docs-html.zip
- PerlMonks? articles
The latest versions of wxPerl, wxWidgets and Scintilla
- Wx (aka wxPerl) latest is 0.89 release on Dec 6, 2008 http://search.cpan.org/dist/Wx/
- Alien::wxWidgets latest 0.42 released on Nov 7, 2008 uses wxWidgets 2.8.8 ( based on this file: http://search.cpan.org/src/MBARBON/Alien-wxWidgets-0.42/patches/data )
- wxWidgets 2.8.8 uses Scintilla 1.70 based on this file contrib/src/stc/scintilla/README.txt in the wxWidgets 2.8.8 source code.
- wxWidgets latest is 2.8.9 http://www.wxwidgets.org/ released on Sept 22, 2008. Based on file contrib/src/stc/scintilla/README.txt 2.8.9 also uses version 1.70 of Scintilla.
- wxWidgets development (2.9) uses Scintilla 1.75 http://trac.wxwidgets.org/browser/wxWidgets/trunk/src/stc/scintilla/README.txt
- Scintilla 1.70 was released 20 June 2006, http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaHistory.html
- Scintilla latest is 1.78, released on Apr 28, 2009 http://www.scintilla.org/
- Perl 5.10 support (eg. parsing) was added to v1.76 of Scintilla (see http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaHistory.html )
In order to get a newer version of Scintilla someone first has to integrate it into wxWidgets and once it is released someone has to integrate it into wxPerl.
Various Items and suggestions
See Wx-Perl-DirTree? on CPAN