|Version 17 (modified by azawawi, 2 years ago) (diff)|
Learning wxPerl and wxWidgets
For those like me (Gabor) who lack imagination here is an explanation of the stack.
- wxWidgets is the name of the C++ library that can be installed either by your operating systems package management tool ( aptitude install wx-common in case of Debian ) or by installing Alien::wxWidgets from CPAN
- Scintilla is an editor component written in C++ and used in many editors. It has been included in wxWidgets ad the STC or wxStyledTextCtrl and is used in Padre.
- wxPerl is the name of the Perl binding to wxWidgets (or wrapper if you prefer that word) - It is packaged as the Wx distro on CPAN. Some of the recent Linux distros might also have.
- Above all that comes our code (Padre in our case)
downloadable version: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxperl/wxPerl-0.82-wx-2.8.7-docs-html.zip
- PerlMonks? articles
- wxPerl tutorial 3
- wxPerl Tutorial one :: The basics
- WxPerl woes -- putting a Tree into a ScrolledWindow
- XML with wxPerl
- HWXperl - The place for GUI apps in Perl
- WxBrowser - a wxPerl HTML Browser
- WxPerl Login Dialog
- Tk vs. wxPerl
- Using Icons on Wx::Notebook
- Using BoxSizer Layout Manager in wxPerl
- WxPerl Simplified
- RegexLab (a wxPerl version)
The latest versions of wxPerl, wxWidgets and Scintilla
- Wx (aka wxPerl) latest is 0.89 release on Dec 6, 2008 http://search.cpan.org/dist/Wx/
- Alien::wxWidgets latest 0.42 released on Nov 7, 2008 uses wxWidgets 2.8.8 ( based on this file: http://search.cpan.org/src/MBARBON/Alien-wxWidgets-0.42/patches/data )
- wxWidgets 2.8.8 uses Scintilla 1.70 based on this file contrib/src/stc/scintilla/README.txt in the wxWidgets 2.8.8 source code.
- wxWidgets latest is 2.9.1 http://www.wxwidgets.org/ released on 2010-07-19 has Scintilla version 2.03 http://trac.wxwidgets.org/browser/wxWidgets/tags/WX_2_9_1/src/stc/scintilla/README.txt.
- wxWidgets development (2.9) still uses Scintilla 2.03 http://trac.wxwidgets.org/browser/wxWidgets/trunk/src/stc/scintilla/README.txt
- Scintilla 1.70 was released 20 June 2006, http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaHistory.html
- Scintilla 2.x latest is 2.24, released on 3 February 2011 http://www.scintilla.org/ and has the following Perl lexer changes:
- Release 2.20: Perl folder works for array blocks, adjacent package statements, nested PODs, and terminates package folding at __DATA__, ^D and ^Z.
- Release 1.78: Perl lexer fixes problem with string matching caused by line endings.
- Release 1.77: Perl lexer update.
- Release 1.76: Perl lexer handles defined-or operator "". ""Perl 5.10 support""
- Release 1.75: Perl lexer enhanced for handling minus-prefixed barewords, underscores in numeric literals and vector/version strings, ^D and ^Z similar to __END__, subroutine prototypes as a new lexical class, formats and format blocks as new lexical classes, and '/' suffixed keywords and barewords.
- Release 1.79: Perl lexer bug fixed where previous lexical states persisted causing "/" special case styling and subroutine prototype styling to not be correct.
- Release 1.71: Perl lexer allows UTF-8 identifiers and has some other small improvements.
In order to get a newer version of Scintilla someone first has to integrate it into wxWidgets and once it is released someone has to integrate it into wxPerl.
Various Items and suggestions
See Wx-Perl-DirTree? on CPAN